The School Security Officer is responsible for maintaining order and security for students, staff, and the public in a manner that provides assistance to persons utilizing the school facility. The School Security Officer is responsible for enforcement of School rules and regulations. The School Security Officer ensures accurate and timely reporting to the School Director, as required by SABIS® and government entities. The School Security Officer reports regularly to the School Director regarding routine and standard matters, specific non-routine, and highly sensitive matters, with recommendations for action and a summary of action taken. The School Security Officer ensures the school and SABIS® brand, philosophy, systems, policies, and procedures are properly observed.
- Directs traffic and/or parking activities
- Assists motorists resolve vehicle-related issues as they arise
- Observes, remedies, and reports unsafe or problematic situations
- Responds immediately to fire and intruder alarms and other emergencies
- Exercise good judgment when responding to safety and security violations and emergencies
- Acts to prevent trespassing, vandalism, loitering or other acts that contribute to an unsafe or disorderly environment
- Maintains daily activity log
- Patrols campus grounds and reports conditions.
- Creates and follow protocols for the safe and orderly entry, exit and movement of students throughout the school grounds
- Exercise dignity and respect when interacting with students at all times
- Develop positive rapport with school staff and students to contribute to working conditions conducive to building a professional learning community
- Monitors student behavior on the school campus, including cafeteria, restrooms and other open locations
- Reports student behavior to the Student Management Coordinator
- Acts as security agent at sports activities and other school-related functions held on school grounds
- Administers first aid and CPR as needed
- May assist in supervision and direction of after-school student activities.
Staff & Public Security
- Provides escort and transportation services to ensure safety and physical well-being of persons at the school
- Performs related duties as assigned/requested.
Rules & Regulations:
- Ensures compliance with overall building security strategies on a daily basis; Assists the School Director in the investigation of potential legal violations.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of basic state and local laws
- Knowledge and understanding of institutional security measures, first aid and CPR techniques
- Ability to learn and interpret school policies and procedures to be enforced
- Knowledge and understanding of how to respond appropriately to sensitive and emergency situations
- Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively
- Establish cooperative working relationships with persons contacted in the course of performing assigned duties.
- Meets set objectives and commitments; most importantly when they impact others
- Takes responsibility for own actions
- Requires minimal supervision and direction to complete his/her duties and responsibilities
- Identifies issues promptly and offers alternative solutions
- Uses resources efficiently and effectively
- Maintains accurate, internal and external, security records, logs, and reports
- Communicates with School Director regarding any and all areas of concern
- Hold a high school diploma (or G.E.D. equivalent)
- 1-2 years of security experience in an urban, preferably school, setting
- Completion of some college-level courses in the areas of security, crowd management, non-crisis intervention, or law enforcement preferred
- Great verbal communication skills, time management and organization skills, and exceptional customer service
- Good command of the English language, oral and written
- Flexible to changing priorities and conditions.
- Completion of some college-level courses in the areas of security, crowd management, non-crisis intervention, or law enforcement preferred.
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail; Organizational and self-management skills
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities effectively
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Dependability and readiness to go above and beyond when necessary to reach goals.
Must meet all employment requirements including, but not limited to, country and local education and certification requirements, reference checks, and criminal background checks.
SABIS® and its network of schools in the United States uses the criteria of merit, qualifications, and abilities to determine hiring decisions and promotions within the organization. SABIS® does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, order of protection, disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, public assistance, family status, genetic information or other segmenting factor protected by law, or local human rights commission activity.